Monday, October 12, 2009

My First Job - Nostalgia - 1 - First Day


"Love your job - not your company" - Well this has been said by one of the IT czars. Trust me I may not love my company but I am thankful to the company for recruiting me and putting me with a bunch of few people who have made my notice period (the period between the time you give your resignation letter and the time you are kicked out of your office - for me it's 1 month) even more miserable, thanks to the impressions ,they have made on my life. Every day has now become a nostalgic drive for office.


My first day in office - 


It was 25th of June, 2007 - I got the news of my aunt's expiration at 2:30 am. Being an intense man, I had to rush to the hospital to have a final look at the body. I rushed, just to realize that they had already kept the body in the cold storage and would not release until the final payment is done. That procedure would take some more time and would take around 9:30 - 10 am to get the body released. I couldn't have afforded to wait so long, as I had to report to my office by 8 am. Even after driving at dying speeds, I went to office by 8:45 am.


There were hardly anyone at the reception - as they had taken all of them (I mean who were to join with me) to the 6th floor Training Room. I somehow managed to get the temporary badge and went to the Training Room. I knocked the door and tried to search atleast some known faces among approx 125 faces. I had just made it on time to fill up some entry forms. Finally I found few of my classmates, but most of them were in a state of shock, thanks to my not-so-logical decision of joining this company even after having offers from 2 other better companies (atleast based on generic scales). I could hardly speak with my friends until we got a break. My brain was trying to fill my forms correctly but my heart was constantly reminding me of my aunt's death and some sort of an internal conflict had already started. That was because, it was second such incident where some one from my family expired on a day which was supposedly an important day in my life. This had brought my nerve cells to observe that anything good that happens to me would happen at the cost of someone else's life. Somehow I managed to talk to my friends during the break and get myself comfortable.


Well this day didn't end with just this much. Adding insult to injury was the counselling sessions which I had after the day long induction (most of which was senseless for me at that point of time), from parents of some of my friends at evening 7 pm on the foot path of my office. I was in-fact confused, who is counselling whom - my mind was in a totally bad state, understandably.


Later on, I again drove to my uncle's place just to realize that people were still in the state of trauma. 


My first day at office was truly memorable, but for all the wrong reasons.I hardly slept that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment