Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Being Wrong...


The 10th and 12th Std public exam results have been taking considerable space in daily newspapers, the past one week. My cousin was also one of thousands of students who wrote their 10 Std exams this year. She has been the topper consistently from the 1st Std in her school. But this time, just at the crucial moment, she slipped to 3rd, and that too by just 2 marks. When I congratulated her, my aunt told she was so unhappy that she missed on the topper slot this time.


Thankfully it was just another exam, and not a situation where she is standing on a wet rock in the middle of the ocean. If it was so, then there could not be any scope for being wrong. But we are in a world, where we can be wrong, though we may not chose to. I pity all those people who have consistently topped their classes, because life is not just about knowing the theory, but is all about being practical. 

I still remember in a day in my 4th or 5th Std, when for the first time, I lost a mark in Mathematics. I was flogged that day at home. That was the day (from the past I remember), when, for the first time, I got a feel of how it was to fail. From that day, failures have been a part of my life.

Your age ideally should not be determined by the number of years you have passed in this world. It should ideally be based upon the number of mistakes you have done. It should depend upon the number of wrong decisions you have taken. This precisely answers the question of many people who think I have grown older than what my age indicate.

As you grow, the consequences of being wrong, though not fatal, seems embarrassing. For the most of us, being wrong is a dead-end. But ideally it is just another wrong way, and you should not to take that path again. You can't unearth new truths, if you are obsessed with being correct all the time.  I remember, one of my school teachers telling that, people who are awarded doctorates need not always be those who invented something, they were awarded even if they found that a particular combination of chemicals wouldn’t produce the required results. This gave the world the knowledge about one wrong combination, and no one would spend time on the same combination.

So, it is very important to make mistakes, and be open to accept them and move ahead, with new mistakes… After all that’s how one grows..

"It is inevitable that some defeat will enter even the most victorious life. The human spirit is never finished when it is defeated... it is finished when it surrenders." - Ben Stein

No comments:

Post a Comment