Monday, August 30, 2010

Non-blood brotherhood - Reel or Real ..?




If you are thinking, this is another story of a soul crying brother-sister relationship, sorry to disappoint you!!

South India has not been too keen onraksha bandhanfestival historically. But still it was more of a fashion statement, for people to tie rakhis (or not to tie), primarily at school level. I remember my high school days, where we were 9 boys and 18 girls. It was a very good value proposition for girls to tie rakhis, as they brought only 9 rakhis, but boys had to buy chocolates/sweets for 18 girls. We hardly realized the value of brotherhood, and wore rakhis just like that. Thanks to my huge hands, I escaped from those small sized rakhis, though it hardly mattered to me (as I was pretty much sure, that there weren't any potential sister candidates for me.. haha.. ).

Solving this mystery of building relationships just by tying rakhis, has been a challenge, since my high school days, and it still continues to remain so, especially when I see incidences where, in the first year of engineering, a girl calls one as a bhaiyya and the next year they are in an affair.

In my personal opinion, nothing can beat blood. The brotherhood build out of blood relationship is the strongest raksha bandhan between a boy and girl. The most versatile relationship which I have come across, not bonded by blood is that of good friendship. The most fragile relationship which is again not bonded by blood is that with your spouse. Post my matriculation, I have not rejected any rakhi requests from my friends, but made it a point to say that - it doesn’t matter to me at all, and she better not expect any sort of brotherliness from me, and then she never tied it to me.

I don’t need a title of being a brother, to help / care for people. I don’t need a title of brother to serve my friend. I don’t need a title of brother, to guide a girl on a right path. Friendship has given me all the things that I want, for being a responsible and caring person. At the time, when counselors say that siblings should be like best friends, why should anyone tie a rakhi to his / her best friend and complicate things?

Finally, some food for thought -
How ironical things could become when a girl ties a rakhi and can afford spending a night with him, when people are debating whether brother-sisters really can't marry ?

Good Night!!!

2 comments:

  1. Quoting your own words here-
    "One should keep his/her options open"...
    So why complicate things by tying a rakhi, isn't it?? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. waah waah shraavan.. im proud of u and some thoughts u have shared on this blog :) i do believe in what u say and totally agree with your notions :) keep it goin dude :)

    ReplyDelete