Sunday, January 17, 2010

Hike n Learn!!

Fastest finger – A concept which I saw for the first time in KBC – Kaun Banega Crorepati , the Indian version of Who wants to become a millionaire ?

No doubt – being an ardent fan of Big B, I was always eager to see the way he would introduce the fastest finger to the 10 contestants every episode.

The next time I came across this fastest finger was when I received a mail from Dawn Dekle – Dean, Center for Leadership – back here at Singapore campus. She had indicated that there were 3 tickets for a show (don't remember exactly which one) and who ever replied to the mail first would be getting the free tickets. By the time, I checked this mail, the three people were already selected and that mail was also in my mailbox. It happened similarly for 3 times. Finally I shot out a mail to Dawn indicating my disapproval for the process. However, it was very kind of her to reply stating that she would make sure that everyone would get a chance to go out.

Then on a particular day she again sent out a mail, which told she would take 3 people for hiking to Mac Ritchie. It was already 45 min from the time she had sent the mail. I thought there is no use in replying, thinking that there are far more dynamic people than me. However, I observed there wasn't any selection mail from her – Hence I just replied indicating my interest. After around 20 min, I got a mail which told that Hrishi, Amey and myself would be going with her for the hike on 3rd Jan – Sunday. Then I felt that – "Good Shravan... You aren't so bad; you can still win a fastest fingerJ"

Later in the evening I found out that our 1st Term Exams were starting on 4th Jan. I then realized why many had not replied. This is human psychology – I had mixed feeling – Feeling bad because my assumption that I was good at fastest finger was proved falseL; Feeling better because I wasn't alone, there were 2 moreJ.

On 3rd Jan, I woke up at 6am for the first time in Singapore. Got ready and we were all down at the reception by 6:45am. Dawn was on time, exactly by 6:45am at the reception. We requested her to cut short the hike, owing to our exams, next day.

We entered the Mac Ritchie Reservoir, and it was like a blend of artificial beauty and natural ambience. We hiked through the forests and there were many people who were jogging and few were doing some kind of Chinese exercise. We came across a big tortoise, few peculiar types of fish and lots of monkeys.

The best part of the hike was Dawn – Her company added so much value to our hike that we hardly realized that we had hiked for 3hrs 15 min and covered almost 9.5 kms. She shared a lot of her experience, it may be teaching in IIMs or working in McKinsey or discussing the critical areas for Management Schools. Albert Einstein once said – "Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." I am sure even if I forget the statistics/Economics/Quants, I would not forget this trip and the experience.

Thanks a lot Dawn, I am sure everyone would be eager to spend more and more time with you, as we have a lot to share and learn from you. We did take a lot of snaps – thanks to Hrishi and Amey, the slide show of which is embedded.

Finally we came back in Merc, to college by 10:30am. And the story continues – the part which we would forget, Managerial Economics Exam, the next day…….

1 comment:

  1. An 8 on 10 for this one!!!! u got it right this time :)

    PS: Kudos to Hrishi and Amey - for those wonderful photos and photography skills! :)

    ReplyDelete